Thursday, December 13, 2007

Get well soon grandpa!

I browsed through all the photo albums I have in the cupboard. I can't find a single picture with you since I was 9 years old. It's sad, really sad. All the old pictures I took with you last time, I was the innocent little girl and you're the oh-so-cool fella. You who taught me how to speak Hakka since young.

Everytime I hand you my school report book, you put on your old-looking spectacles and read it carefully for 30 minutes. . . . . . . slowly walking towards your room. 'Mmm, very good.' you say it with a big smile on your face. I smile back with a RM 50 note in my hand. This is the moment when I know that everything I've done is a success.

3.30 a.m. I was downstair doing my revision for my blardy exams. Your room door opened silently. I turned back and looked at you not saying anything. Silence for 5 seconds. You called me to go upstairs and sleep. I didn't listen and continue with my revision. The door closed. I realised that the lights in your room didn't go off til early morning. You didn't sleep knowing I was staying up the night. I felt your company even if you were in your room and I was at the dining table. Your presence broke through the concrete wall. Thank you.

You are getting skinnier day by day in the hospital. You went there the second day I was in OBML. The whole time I was having hell lots of fun at OBML, and there you are suffering in pain and pressure. And you told my parents not to tell me until my camp ended. I burst into tears on the way to hospital cause of you and post camp depression. U1234, your ward number. Looking at the skinny and bony and weak you, as if my heart has broken into pieces. You hardly eat anything grandma cooked for you, just one or two bites.

Heading to hospital two rounds a day has became a daily routine to me. Seeing you gasping for air makes me cry. Looking at your chest, I can see your ribcage; looking at your legs, it's nothing else but bones. And you refuse to eat anything.

What can I do to ease your pain?

I miss the sound of you unlocking the doors every single morning
I miss watching you watering the plants in the garden
I miss you nagging me everytime I stay up late
I miss you arguing with grandma about everything
I miss you scolding the kids when they left the TV on
I miss the peanuts that you used to cook
I miss reading newspaper with you in the living room
I miss the noise of your radio every night
I miss you saying that I'm too dark for a girl
I miss you nagging me to eat rice
I miss your Hakka mee =)
I miss you fixing my alarm clock whenever it's not working

Get well soon!
I'm waiting for you to come home for Christmas!

By the way, I miss OBML and friends like crazy.......
I'm so going back there =)

No comments: